- Family Matters. 1st: $1,500, and publication.Deadline: March 31.
- A bit of 2013 data as we report the results of the December Fiction Open: 7 of 12 of our 2013 1st-place winners were women—please don’t feel bad, guys, it all goes in waves—and 8 of 12 winning stories were those authors’ 1st fiction publications.
- Most submissions come in at 1,500-6,500 words, but any lengths up to 12,000 words are welcome.
- Winners and finalists will be announced in the June bulletin, and contacted directly by May 27th.
- Please note: The next Family Matters contest will be held in October. Writing Guidelines.
- There are certain people in our lives, for instance, who can say just a few words—I love you, I hate you, I’m mad at you, you’ve disappointed me—that suddenly cause the chemistry in our bodies to change. It makes our heart race. Literally the words can change us at the chemical level.—Ben Marcus, interviewed by David Naimon